Nay Pyi Taw January 5
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a press release yesterday to the embassies of ASEAN member states in Yangon, referring to the Retreat of ASEAN Foreign Ministers on 19th December 2016 in Yangon.
In the press release, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs informed the embassies of the following arrangements to be pursued in offering cash and in-kind support to Rakhine State from the Government of ASEAN Member States:
• Proposals should be sent through proper diplomatic channels.
• When the proposal is received, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will promptly coordinate with the Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement and the Government of Rakhine State. Coordination will also be made with the relevant departments for tax exemptions, customs clearance, etc. In this regard, details of humanitarian aid such as quantity and weight need to be provided in advance.
• Cash or in-kind assistance are to be meant for both communities without any distinction.
• When in-kind assistance arrives at Yangon Airport/ Seaport, the Ministry will coordinate with the donor country and the relevant departments for transporting donated items to Rakhine State.
• The Rakhine State Government will distribute the assistance to both communities. If any village or location is notified by the donor country for distribution of donated items, necessary coordination will be made for sending such donations to the designated places.
• Handing-over ceremonies of donation can be arranged upon request by the respective country.
• For the sake of transparency, status of the assistance will be given to the respective embassies by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
• If the assistance from the governments of ASEAN member states is in cash, the Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement has opened a bank account to be used for providing humanitarian assistance and necessary support for both communities in Rakhine State.
The Myawady Daily